Termites are a major problem across the United States but are even more of a problem here in San Antonio, TX. Our warm average yearly temperatures allow termites to remain active year-round, no matter what season it is. Understanding how to identify termite damage and what problems termites can cause on your property can help you discover an infestation before extensive damage has occurred.
What Does Termite Damage Look Like?
When termites invade your San Antonio home, they create large networks of tunnels and nesting galleries throughout the structure of the building. Termites live in and feed on the wooden components they infest. Termite damage occurs inside of the structure of a home, which means you won’t usually see the actual tunnels they create. Instead, you’ll only see the results of what that damage causes.
Outward signs of termite damage can include spongy floorboards, warped window frames, cracks in ceilings, tight-fitting doors or windows, and areas that appear water-damaged. Unfortunately, termite damage can get out of hand quickly if it isn’t dealt with right away. Repairing termite damage can be costly, depending on how long a termite colony is left undiscovered. Termites cost United States home and business owners over 5 billion dollars each year.
Termite Prevention Tips
If you know why termites invade, you might be able to avoid attracting them to your San Antonio home in the first place. Consider implementing these termite prevention methods to keep termites away from your property:
- Termites are attracted to properties with a lot of excess moisture. Reduce moisture around your home by repairing leaks, tightening pipes, and replacing broken fixtures.
- Cut thick brush, tall grass, and heavy foliage away from exterior walls to allow the sun to dry up excess moisture around your foundation.
- If possible, remove logs, stick piles, stumps, decaying fences, and old sheds from your property.
- Reduce wood-to-soil contact as much as possible.
- Keep wood-based mulch products away from your exterior walls.
- Ensure your gutters are channeling water away from your home properly.
Unfortunately, termite prevention tips aren’t always effective. The only way to keep your San Antonio home termite-free is with a termite control and prevention plan, like the plans available through Romney Pest Control. Whether your termite infestation is large or small, the professionals at Romney Pest Control have what it takes to keep your property protected year-round. Give us a call today to get started on your pest-free journey.