Silverfish are small nocturnal insects that are light gray and shiny, which gives them a “silver” appearance. Their slender bodies are rounded at the head and tapered down to pointed abdomens. Silverfish have six legs, two antennae, and three tail-like appendages that have a similar appearance to their antenna. These quick, silver insects are typically found in moist locations, such as in bathrooms, basements, and under sinks. When silverfish infest your property, they feed on just about everything that contains starches. Books, clothing, fabric, photos, paper, glue, and wallpaper are just a few of the items silverfish are known for eating.
Why Do Silverfish Invade?
There are several reasons why silverfish might invade a property. However, food and moisture are the two biggest reasons these insects are attracted to Houston homes. These small insects will sometimes invade when the environment outside becomes too dry. If your home provides the moisture and food silverfish need to survive, they’ll have no reason to leave once the conditions outside become favorable again.
Silverfish Prevention Tips
Now that you know why silverfish invade, it’s time to put that knowledge to use and start keeping silverfish out of your home. One of the best ways to avoid attracting silverfish to your Houston property is to simply reduce excess moisture. Consider applying the following prevention tips:
- Replace mulch (which holds moisture) that is next to your foundation with pebbles or crushed rock.
- Seal all potential entry points with a caulking gun. Possible points of entry include gaps in your foundation, cracks in your exterior walls, and crevices in window frames.
- Reduce moisture by installing dehumidifiers, repairing leaking fixtures, removing water-damaged wood, and keeping the bathroom vent on while showering.
- Remove piles of wet leaves, brush, and sticks from your lawn.
- Make sure your gutters are draining water correctly.
Like many other insect pests, silverfish can be difficult to get rid of once they get inside. If silverfish have invaded your Houston home, the best solution to your pest problem is professional pest control services from Romney Pest Control. We are always finding new ways to handle pest infestations quickly and efficiently. Here at Romney Pest Control, we care about the needs of you and your home, which is why we offer a wide range of pest control programs and services. For immediate assistance with your pest control problem, give us a call today.