No homeowner wants to see mice running around their home or hear them squeaking inside the walls. Mice can do extensive damage inside your walls, especially to the electrical wires they chew on. They can also spread diseases from parasites and pathogens as they walk on kitchen countertops and around pet food bowls.
If mice have infested your Lewisville property, read on to learn how to get mice out of the walls of your home.
How Do I Know if I Have a Mouse Infestation?
Even if you don’t see mice in your home, you could still have them. The pesky little rodents leave clear signs that they have moved in and set up a nest. Homeowners often notice chew marks and scratch marks on their furniture, kitchen cabinets, and baseboards. Mice have to gnaw with their front teeth to keep them from growing out of control.
Here are some telltale signs of a mouse infestation:
- Mice leave food crumbs in unexpected places. For example, you might notice crumbs in the middle of your bathroom floor, even if you’ve never eaten there.
- They will also leave their droppings wherever they wander. The small, oblong pellets are easy to spot in bathroom and kitchen cabinets, near nesting areas, and room corners.
- Mice will set up nests in quiet spaces like basements and garages. They use soft materials like newspapers or clothing.
- You might hear mice squeaking and scratching in the walls and under the floors.
- Your pets might be easily annoyed by mice, so they might show unusual behavior as they try to stop them from running around your home.
How To Get Mice Out of the Walls
Hearing mice running up and down your interior walls can be disconcerting. Your first instinct might be to try to remove them using snap traps, poison, and glue traps. While you’ll probably catch a few mice that way, these DIY treatments won’t solve the problem as mice reproduce quickly and can have as many as 35 babies in a year.
If you poison mice, they could die inside your walls. After they die, they’ll create a rotten stink that won’t go away. The best solution is to hire an exterminator who has the equipment and know-how to remove all of the mice safely and effectively.
Tips for Keeping Mice Out of Your Home
The best way to keep mice out of your walls is to keep them out of your Lewisville home. Following these tips is the best way to have a mouse-free home:
- Keep your outdoor trash bins away from your exterior doors and out of your garage.
- Check your weatherstripping and replace damaged segments.
- Replace broken window and door screens.
- Use a dehumidifier in your basement and other moist interior areas.
- Close your exterior doors.
- Maintain your landscaping, especially near your home’s foundations and entry points.
- Eat at the kitchen table.
- Clean your pet’s food station each night.
- Hire a professional exterminator.
Our professional pest control experts have effective solutions to end mouse infestations. If you are concerned that mice have moved into your walls, contact us at Romney Pest Control for expert solutions!