Rodents are some of the most common pests in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Mice and rats can contaminate homes with their droppings, spread disease, and do damage with their gnawing and burrowing. Take precautions to avoid rodents in your Dallas-Fort Worth home. Here are four reasons why rodents should be avoided.
1. Rodents such as mice and rats can spread diseases with their urine and feces, diseases such as salmonella, hantavirus, leptospirosis, and tularemia. All these can cause pain and suffering to an infected person. In the case of hantavirus, death can result.2. Rodents can carry other pests into your home such as fleas and ticks. Not only do you have to worry about the illness that rodents bring, but you must worry about the diseases that fleas and ticks can transmit.3. Rodents can contaminate food. As they search for food for themselves, they will have no problem eating yours. They chew through boxes and bags to get to the tasty treats inside, causing possible contamination and much food waste.
4. Rodents can cause costly damage to homes and structures. Rodents have an innate need to gnaw due to their continuously-growing front incisors. They can chew through almost all materials including wood, metal, concrete, fiberglass, cardboard, and even wires.
Preventing Rodents Is Imperative
Because of the problems rodents can cause, it’s imperative to implement rodent prevention around your Dallas-Fort Worth home.
- Start by inspecting your home for holes and cracks, and fill them in. Pay close attention to areas where utility wires or pipes enter your home and seal around those. (Mice can get into a hole the size of a dime.)
- Repair any damaged or torn screens.
- Install door sweeps or guards around all exterior doors including garage doors.
- Cut back branches that overhang your roof. Roof rats can climb!
- Cap chimney’s and install screens on vents.
- Don’t feed your pets outdoors or leave food out when they aren’t eating.
- Store your food in airtight glass containers or in the fridge or freezer.
Professional Rodent Control
Even with taking the DIY steps above to prevent rodents, you may still find yourself with an infestation. Or perhaps you don’t have the time or the know-how to stay on top of inspecting and repairing your home regularly. Whatever the case, Romney Pest Control can help. We use a six-point rat and mice inspection process to examine and treat your home and offer effective solutions to get rid of mice and rats. Contact us today to help you keep your Dallas-Fort Worth home rodent-free.