Rats are one of the most threatening property invading pests in the Dallas and Fort Worth areas. These clever rodents always seem to find a way into unprotected homes, no matter what time of the year it is. In this article, we will discuss how to identify a rat infestation, why rats invade, and how you can keep them away from your property.
How To Identify A Rat Infestation
Identifying a rat infestation isn’t always easy. However, there are a few signs that indicate these rodents have invaded your home.
- Gnaw marks on furniture, shelving, and other personal items. Like all rodents, rats must chew on things to wear down their continuously growing teeth.
- Grease marks on siding, baseboards, and furniture. Rats aren’t the cleanest creatures, which means they often track dirt and filth into your Dallas home.
- Droppings in attics, wall spaces, cupboards, and drawers. Rat droppings are small, dark, and round.
Are Rats Dangerous?
When rats invade your Fort Worth home, they’re going to try and stay out of your way as much as possible. Rats would rather hide in your basement and come out at night to steal food than interact with you. However, these large rodents can become quite aggressive and may bite you when threatened or cornered. Rats are also responsible for spreading a wide variety of dangerous diseases, such as leptospirosis, hantavirus, salmonella, and tularemia. These diseases can be transmitted through food sources, counter surfaces, and water sources. Additionally, rats often cause extensive property damage with their constant gnawing. Furniture, electrical wiring, and piping systems are often severely damaged, which can lead to costly repairs.
Rodent Prevention Tips
Typically, rodents invade houses for food, water, and shelter from the cold. Here in Texas, however, our temperatures remain mild year-round, which means the rats in your home are after your food and water sources. Depending on the species, some rats may get into your home through loose roofing shingles, gaps in your foundation, cracks in your exterior walls, or by widening the holes made for utility pipes. To avoid attracting these dangerous pests to your Dallas or Fort Worth home, follow a few of these rodent prevention tips:
- Ensure your trash cans remain sealed and stored away from your exterior walls.
- Remove clutter, brush, and other items rats can hide in from your property.
- Store all pet food in plastic containers when not in use.
- Bring soda cans, sauce bottles, and food items inside after outdoor parties or grills.
- Seal up gaps and cracks around the exterior of your home.
- Keep your outdoor spaces clean and free of toys, clutter, and garbage.
Unfortunately, prevention tips only go so far. You should never try to handle a rat infestation without professional help. These dangerous rodents are capable of biting, scratching, and injuring you when threatened. The safest and most effective way to remove these pests from your property is with the help of the licensed rodent specialists here at Romney Pest Control. We offer quality treatments and rodent control services for homes in the Dallas and Fort Worth areas. No matter what pest problem you’re facing, we have a solution. Avoid the stress of dealing with rats in your home—reach out to Romney Pest Control today for effective home pest control!